Emotional CompetenciesAlexandra Ponton
Bisquerra, R., y Pérez, N. (2007). Las Competencias Emocionales. Educación XXI, 10, 61-82.
Define competence is the first thing that comes to my mind … because in the business world we are judged by the development of a particular competence and at the University as teachers we want to develop certain skills in students.
We can then quote here some definitions taken from Bisquerra article:
Competence is a “set of knowledge, skills and abilities required to practice a profession, to solve professional problems independently and flexible and be able to work with the professional environment and work organization” (Bunk, 1994, 9).
It can also be said to be “observable behaviors in everyday reality of work and also in test situations. Implemented in an integrated manner skills, personality traits and acquired knowledge “(Levy-Leboyer, 1997, 54).
As well as Echeverria, 2005: 17, define that “competence discriminate the necessary knowledge to cope with certain situations and be able to face them. That is, knowing how to mobilize knowledge and skills to deal with problems arising from the exercise of the profession. “
We can then highlight some features that are born of the word “competence or skill”:
- It applies to the person.
- Includes knowledge, skills and behaviors.
- Are linked to the notion of continuous learning and development.
- Is the capital or potential performance, linked to the ability to take action.
From this important Bisquerra article, we can summarize that there are several kinds of competences, as follows:
Personal competences as: motivation, self-confidence, self-control, patience, self-criticism, autonomy, assertiveness, responsibility, empathy, etc.
And, Technical or Professionals competences, such as mastery of basic and specialized knowledge, mastering the tasks and skills required in the profession, organizational capacity, environmental management, teamwork, etc.
But today in the workplace, the development of personal competences are increasingly important to achieve better leadership and interaction with colleagues, led and bosses. So this article is based on the development of the theme of emotional competencies.
Several authors like Goleman, Boyatzis, Mackee, among others already addressed this issue very thoroughly, proposing four domains of the same as well – self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management competences and eighteen from these studies.
|PERSONAL COMPETENCIES||SOCIAL COMPETENCIES|
|SELF AWARENESS||SOCIAL CONSCIENCE|
Proper assessment of yourself
Awareness of the organization
|SELF CONTROL||RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT|
|Emotional Self control
Development of others
Teamwork and cooperation
Competencias asociadas a la inteligencia emocional en Goleman, Boyatis y Mackee (2002, p- 72-73)
And, since 1997 the GROP (Grup de Recera en Orientació Psicopedagògica) has grouped into five blocks graphically represented in a pentagon, defining them as:
- Emotional Awareness: ability to become aware of their own emotions and the emotions of others, including the ability to capture the emotional climate of a given context.
- Emotional regulation: the ability to manage emotions appropriately. It supposed to be aware of the relationship between emotion, cognition and behavior.
- Emotional autonomy: it can be understood as a set of features and related to personal self elements, therefore within these can include: self-esteem, motivation, positive attitude, responsibility, self-efficacy emotional, critical analysis of social norms and resilience.
- Bisquerra summarized as social competence, the ability to maintain good relationships with the people involved, social skills, capacity for effective communication, respect, assertiveness, among others.
- Competencies for life and wellfare: ability to adopt appropriate and responsible to face successfully the challenges of life, whether private, social or professional behavior.
Since Goleman until today, as we see, have described various types of emotional competencies, the list is long, and all who have lived the corporate world, know how it is increasingly important to develop them.
But it really is difficult to develop all, so it is necessary to start knowing, studying them, and start working slowly, in order to become the balanced individuals that companies are seeking every day.